Tuesday, February 28, 2012

how I make fabric yarn.....

I have just finished my calico crochet rug and before I post it on my blog and add the pattern I thought I would make a little post on how I make fabric yarn....I know there are lots of different ways to make it but this is the way I have found works best for me :)


Tear fabric into strips about 4cm (1 1/2") wide, once you have torn a few strips it becomes easy to judge how wide to tear...I usually cut a little nick in the end of the fabric to start the tear off.
Of course this works best with woven fabric, the fabric used in this project was 100% cotton Calico.

Place the ends of two strips together as in first photo and fold them over approx 15cm (6") making 4 layers of fabric.
Cut a slit through all 4 layers of fabric on the fold, cut only needs to be about 1cm as when opened up it doubles in length
as you can see in the photo below.


to make things easier to discribe, we will call one end A and the other B.
Thread end A through the slit on B - as above.
Now thread B through A. - as below.


You now have both ends threaded through the slot in the other piece.

pull ends firmly, so that pieces become intertwined. 

move both tails over to one side, making it easier to work over the tails when crocheting.
Now wind into a ball.
I find it is better to have a few balls for a project instead of a huge ball.
I would recommend one ball be made up from about a bed sheet sized piece of fabric, so if you are ripping up two sheets make two balls and so on.

I hope this all makes sense to those who are interested in making a rag rug...I look forward to showing you all my calico crochet rug hopefully tomorrow if I have the pattern finished by then...

have a happy day,  
~ Gillian ♥

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Gillian. Your photos are not only visually appealing but very helpful. I had some fabric strips waiting to be joined and it was great being able to follow your instructions and compare how mine looked with yours. Can't wait to see how your rug looks.

Anonymous said...

I agree with soho stitch, your photos make this tutorial easy to follow. Will share how my fabric yarn turns out when I try this.

mazzalazz said...

Hi, I am making you rug using Hoooked Zpagetti. I am hoping to make it larger than your original. Can you tell me how I continue to increase after I reach 224 stitches?

Gillian said...

Hi mazzalazz,
Thank you for your question, I would love to see your rug when it is finished....I was contemplating making one from Zpagetti also.

All I can suggest is that you continue increasing in the same order as per the pattern so for example below.

*1sc in next 26 sc, 2sc into next sc* repeat from *to* = 224sc (the last round of pattern)

1sc in each sc = 224sc

I would then work

*1sc in next 27 sc, 2sc into next sc* repeat from *to*

1sc in each sc

continue adding rows and stitches until it is as wonderful and large as you would like it to be!

If you are on Ravelry, the rug pattern can be found http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/calico-rag-rug and I would love you to link to it so we can all see your rug when finished if possible :)

I hope this helps you,

Gillian :)

mazzalazz said...

Thankyou so much for answering my query. I did actually find your pattern through Ravelry so will post a photo when I finish, also, the girls from Zpaghetti have asked for a photo too.
regards Marilyn