Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pacific Koel

One of the things I love about our garden at this time of the year
is the arrival of the
When the fruit ripens on our Palm trees we are always
visited by these fabulous looking birds.
The four photos above are of two different females,
I haven't managed to photograph the male as yet,
although we do see him everyday is very flighty
and as soon as I walk through the back door he flies away.
He is a spectacular glossy black bird with vibrant red eyes.
If you click on the link above the wiki page has images of the male
and you can also hear his fabulous call,
which wakes us up most mornings at the moment.
I managed to take these photos from our back deck,
which is two storey making me level with the height
of our palm trees where they were busy enjoy their meal.

I hope you are having a lovely weekend
~ Gillian ♥

7 comments:

**Anne** said...

Lovely photos Gillian, thanks for sharing. I've never seen these birds before, they are beautiful.

Anne xx

Rika said...

Beautiful Pfotos Gillian!

Heldasland said...

Wow. I have never seen these birds before.The palm tree looks so pretty.Beautiful picture

Just-Do said...

Never heard of this bird before, so thank you for sharing this. Great how the eyes of the bird are almost the same as the berries; how about camouflage!!
Have a great weekend too.

Anonymous said...

Superb photos Gillian. We have the lorikeets visiting our garden. Noisy but delightful visitors.

- said...

Amazingly beautiful. Look how perfectly the bird is camouflaged amongst the berries!

Sandra Foster said...

Gillian - there is something very striking about these photos. I love detail maybe that's what it is.